How to install Tenable Nessus on the Pwn Pro or Pwn Pro Plus
- Power on the Pwn Pro and login to the sensor via SSH or Reverse SSH using the pwnie user account.
- Next, type sudo su and press Enter, then re-type the password to become superuser.
- Next, ensure the sensor is capable of acquiring updates, is up-to-date and running the latest Pwnix Release. See support articles if necessary.
- Next, download the latest “Debian 6, 7, 8, 9 / Kali Linux 1, 2017.3 AMD64” installation package of Tenable Nessus from http://www.tenable.com/products/nessus/select-your-operating-system#tos
Note: If you are unable to download the file directly to the Pwn Pro, transfer the installer .deb file using a USB stick, SCP, WinSCP, or other file transfer methods available to you.
- On the Pwn Pro, change directories to where the installer .deb file is located.
- Next, type dpkg -i Nessus-<version number>-debian6_amd64.deb and press Enter to install Nessus, replacing <version number> with what is relevant to the downloaded installation package.
- Upon completion of the installation process, type systemctl start nessusd and press Enter to start the Nessus server service.
IMPORTANT: The Nessus service is not configured to automatically start if the sensor is rebooted. If the Pwn Pro is rebooted the Nessus server must be manually restarted afterward.
- Next, open a web browser on another system in the same network to connect to the Nessus server, via https://x.x.x.x:8834 replacing x.x.x.x with the IP address assigned to the sensor.
- Once connected to the Nessus UI, create a user account, specify a password and provide the Activation Code you received from Tenable.
- Afterward, configure and use Nessus as desired.
IMPORTANT: Pwnie Express is *not* responsible for the use and support of Tenable Nessus. Please contact Tenable if there are questions involving its use. Additionally be aware the use of a vulnerability scanner can be extremely resource intensive involving CPU, physical memory and drive space that can have a negative impact on other functionality on the sensor.