It is also required to know the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) i.e. "widgets.pwnieexpress.net", or "f4k2ae79.pwnieexpress.net", etc. of the Pulse environment provisioned for use. If you do not know the FQDN please contact email@example.com.
How to Register (Join) a Sensor to Pulse
Registering a sensor to Pulse is a simple, two-step process. The first step is performed from the sensor itself, using the sensor's web-based UI. The second step is performed from within Pulse, whereupon the sensor being registered must be approved.
- From the network the sensor will be discovering assets and reporting upon to Pulse, log in to the sensor using its web-based UI at https://x.x.x.x:1443 (whereas x.x.x.x is the IP address assigned to the sensor).
- After login, from the "System Setup" page, click the "Administrative Functions" link.
- In the "Test Connection" section, type the subdomain of the FQDN for the Pulse environment, then tap "Test Connection". In the example FQDN's provided above, "widgets" or "f4k2ae79" would represent the subdomain to be entered.
- If the status of the "px-connection-dr" indicates SUCCESS, continue to the next step. If the status indicates FAILURE, whichever test failed will need to be resolved before continuing. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Assuming the Test Connection was a SUCCESS, click the "Home" button in the upper right corner to return the "System Setup" page.
- Next, click the “Register to Pwn Pulse” link.
- If the sensor has yet to be registered, three fields will be visible. If the sensor has already been registered, a blue button offering to "Deregister Sensor" will be provided and there is no need to proceed any further.
- In the “Dispatch Hostname” field, type the FQDN for the Pulse environment the sensor is to be registered with, i.e."widgets.pwnieexpress.net" or "f4k2ae79.pwnieexpress.net". Note specifying a port number is not required.
- In the “Sensor Name” field, type the name, i.e. "Berlin – Branch Office" to represent the sensor. It is encouraged the name of the sensor is indicative of the geographic location or branch office where the sensor is physically located. Note the name cannot be changed once the registration process is complete.
- Optionally, in the "Contact” field, type the name of an individual who would be responsible for the administration of the sensor.
- After the required information has been provided, click the “Connect to Dispatch” button once to join the sensor to Pulse.
- This completes the first step.
- Using a web browser (Google Chrome is recommended) login to Pulse using the FQDN, i.e. "https://widgets.pwnieexpress.net", "https://f4k2ae79.pwnieexpress.net", etc.
- Next, click the “wrench” icon and select "Unapproved sensors" from the drop-down menu.
- All sensors registered, but awaiting approval will be displayed.
- When the sensor appears on the list, click the “Approve” button to complete the process of joining the sensor to Pwn Pulse.
- This completes the second step.
On the Services page, enable the PwnScan service to allow the discovery of wired assets. Additionally enable the Realtime Wireless service to allow the discovery of wireless assets and enable the Blue Hydra Bluetooth Scanner service to allow the discovery of Bluetooth assets.
In the first step, as an alternative to using the web-based UI to register a sensor to Pulse, it is possible to register a sensor to Pulse using SSH by performing the following:
- Establish either an SSH connection or a reverse SSH connection to the sensor and login with the "pwnie" user account.
- Type sudo su and press Enter, then re-enter the required password to become superuser.
- To test connectivity of the sensor to Pulse, type px-connection-dr -d widgets and press Enter to verify connectivity. Note replace "widgets" with the subdomain of the FQDN for the Pulse environment.
- Assuming the results reflect the connectivity test being a SUCCESS, continue to the next step. If the connectivity test indicates FAILURE, whichever test failed will need to be resolved before continuing. Please contact email@example.com for assistance.
- To register the sensor with Pulse, type px-register-dispatch --hostname widgets.pwnieexpress.net --sensorname "<Sensor Name>" --contact "<John Doe>" and press Enter, replacing widgets.pwnieexpress.net with the FQDN for the Pulse environment, and the <Sensor Name> and <John Doe> variables with the appropriate information.
- After being returned to the "#" prompt, login to Pulse to approve the sensor.